Friday, August 30, 2019

CLOSURE




It is never easy to close a chapter in life.  People meet, get together for momentary lapse of time and then fly to unknown destinations that they have never been to.  It is a life and death cycle.  All per wishes of Lord is happening all around us and we are nothing but puppets in His game.  The characters which are given to us, we play and after our role is over, we move on to next stage.

Today, marks the end of life of Vinay, the terminal cancer patient, who expired at 10:30 p.m. last night, 29/30/2019.  I meet him and gave him food last time.  I tried my best to comfort him but he knew that this night was last in his life.  He started to develop shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, and restlessness.  He was admitted to Emergency Room Triage.  It was very unfortunate that nobody of his own blood relation or relative or friend was with him during this time.  In the morning, I got call from Savita mam (MSW SWS) who informed me about his death.  I was not in shock nor terribly depressed after hearing the news because I knew if he would have lived a little longer, he would have suffered a lot because of his terrible physical symptoms of fluid build-up in all parts of body and being all alone he might have died in some hotel room and nobody would have known.  His condition was deteriorating minute by minute.  At least now I can have a closure as to he might have passed in the hands of doctors who would have tried to save him at the last moment too.  These days with him made me more wise, and taught me things that I was unaware of previously that how uncertain our live is and we have not made full use of it till now.  Now, I have clear path and clear goals and I am oriented to helping people in my profession of Social Work.  I wish all my colleagues get this message and put their sincere and honest efforts in their field of social work and help others for which they have chosen this field.

Please say a few words in your daily prayer for Vinay so that he can rest in peace and move on.

Regards,

Avtar Singh Cheema (BSW SWS)

No comments: